PLEASE READ: To protect our employees and those we serve, we are encouraging individuals to set up an appointment. If you have an appointment, are you having flu-like symptoms, such as fever, cough or shortness of breath? In the last 14 days have you traveled to a high-risk area for transmission of COVID-19 or been in close contact with someone confirmed or being evaluated for COVID-19? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, please do not enter any Housing Connect offices. Contact us at 801-284-4400 or so we can communicate with you via telephone or email.

en English
ar Arabiczh-CN Chinese (Simplified)nl Dutchen Englishfr Frenchde Germanit Italianfa Persianpt Portugueseru Russianso Somalies Spanish

For Landlords

The Partnership: Landlord, Housing Connect & Family

The HCV Program depends on a cooperative relationship between the owner or property manager, Housing Connect, and the assisted family. The program is designed to maintain the regular owner and tenant relationship. The role of Housing Connect is to subsidize the family’s rent; all other aspects of the lease agreement must be resolved between the landlord and the tenant.

Thank you for providing affordable housing!

FAQs for Landlords

  • How do I list my property to find a tenant?

    You can list your property free of charge on or you can provide us a flyer with your property information for our lobby rental book. Listing your property does not obligate you to rent to families with vouchers—it simply provides you with the opportunity to advertise to them.

  • How do I raise the rent of my unit leased by a Housing Choice Voucher holder?

    If you want to raise the rent, you must submit a written request sixty days in advance to Housing Connect. You may use our Notice of Rent Increase form or provide a copy of a new signed lease. Housing Connect will then determine rent reasonableness and provide you with a notice if the rent increase is approved.

  • Why does Housing Connect's portion of the rent occasionally change?

    A family’s portion that they pay to you is based on the family’s adjusted income. Typically a family will pay between thirty and forty percent of their income towards the rent. Families are required to report all income changes immediately.

  • Do I treat voucher holders differently?

    NO. You are responsible for managing your property, protecting your investment, and enforcing your lease. In Utah, there is a source of income discrimination law. Landlords cannot refuse to rent to a voucher holder just because they have a voucher. You may still screen applicants as you would anyone else and can deny them for failing your screening criteria. Housing Connect can provide you information on past landlords to verify prior rental conduct, if we have this information.

  • What if I have problems with a voucher holder?

    What would you do if you have problems with any tenant? Enforce your lease.

    The only added responsibility you have is keeping us—your business partner—informed. Send us copies of lease violation notices, eviction paperwork, notices to vacate, or any other paperwork that may be relevant to our partnership.

    We cannot take action regarding lease violations unless you take action (because we are not a party to the lease), but once we are notified of a lease violation, it becomes a program violation.

  • What if a family vacates the unit during the lease term?

    You must notify Housing Connect as soon as possible. Housing payments can only be made while the family lives in the unit. Families who leave the unit without notifying the landlord and Housing Connect may be terminated from the program.

  • Can I move a tenant to a different unit?

    NO. New paperwork and an inspection will need to be completed, even if they are just moving across the hall.

  • How do I know how much was direct deposited into my account by Housing Connect?

    Our landlord portal has all of this information for you. You can also get information about caseworker contacts, inspections, and payment holds.