Public Housing

Housing Connect administers a Public Housing program which is designed to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Housing Connect currently owns and manages 416 units of Public Housing located throughout Salt Lake County. Our communities range from single story to high-rise apartments.

If you live in Public Housing:

  • We are your landlord
  • We provide the property management and maintenance of the buildings
  • The subsidy stays with the property
  • Rent is based on 30% of the household’s adjusted annual income

Housing Connect receives funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the Public Housing program.

Housing Connect Illustration

Public Housing Resources

Community Service & Self-Sufficiency Requirement
Community Service & Self-Sufficiency Requirement
Learn More
Community Service Volunteer Time Sheet
Community Service Volunteer Time Sheet
Learn More
Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD)
Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD)
Learn More
Housing Connect Track

FAQs About Public Housing

  • Am I eligible for Public Housing?

    In order to be eligible for housing, a family’s income must be equal or less than the Annual Income Guidelines established by HUD.

    In addition, you will need to provide proof of legal residence in the United States and verification of Social Security numbers for all household members, photo identification for all adult household members, and verification of all household income and assets.

    Housing Connect will also run a criminal background check on all adult household members.

  • How do I apply for Public Housing?

    Click here to apply for Public Housing online.

    You can also request a paper application as a reasonable accommodation.

  • What do I do while I’m on the waiting list?

    While you are on the waiting list, it is very important to keep your contact information up-to-date and notify Housing Connect in writing of changes to your address, telephone number, email, household composition, income source, or need for a reasonable accommodation.

    If you do not respond to the annual wait-list update, you will be removed from the waiting list.

  • Do rental units come furnished?

    All Public Housing units are leased in an unfurnished condition with the exception of a stove and a refrigerator which are supplied by Housing Connect.

  • Are pets allowed?

    Residents are permitted to keep common household pets subject to the provisions of Housing Connect’s pet policy:

    • No animal may exceed 25 pounds in weight as their projected full adult size.
    • All pets must be approved in writing by the property manager prior to bring pets onto any Housing Connect premises.

    Housing Connect’s pet rules do not apply to assistance animals.

  • What are the security and pet deposits?

    Security Deposit

    County High Rise     $150.00
    Valley Fair Village     $150.00
    Family Units              $300.00

    Pet Deposit

    County High Rise     $300.00
    Valley Fair Village     $300.00
    Family Units              $300.00

    Applicants must pay a security deposit to Housing Connect prior to admission into the Public Housing program. Housing Connect will hold the security deposit during the period a household occupies the rental unit. Households cannot use a security deposit to pay rent or other charges while they occupy the unit.

    Existing households who elect to transfer to a new rental unit must pay the appropriate security deposit for the new rental unit prior to transferring to the new rental unit. Transferring households will be billed at the new rental unit for any maintenance repairs due to damage or other charges associated with their vacated rental unit.

    When a household vacates the Public Housing program, the rental unit must be in a clean and undamaged condition. The household must furnish the property manager with a forwarding mailing address. All keys to the rental unit must be returned to the property manager prior to Housing Connect returning a security deposit.

    Within 30 calendar days of vacating a rental unit, Housing Connect will initiate a refund to the former household of the amount of the security and/or pet deposit, less any amount needed to pay the cost of unpaid rent, unit damages that exceed normal wear and tear, and/or charges billable under the lease agreement.

    If a household chooses to remove a pet from the premises and continue to stay in occupancy with Housing Connect, the pet deposit will be refunded, less the non-refundable portion, plus any damage caused by the pet to the rental unit. The deposit amount will be sent to the household within 30 calendar days of the resident providing the property manager with written verification of the pet’s removal.

  • When is my monthly rent due?

    Rent is due on the first day of the month. All rent not received in full by the 5th day of the month will be assessed a late charge of $50.00.

  • Am I responsible for utilities? Which ones?

    County High Rise: all utilities are included

    Valley Fair Village and Family Units: Housing Connect pays for the water, sewer, and garbage. All other utilities are the responsibility of the resident.

  • When and how do I report household changes?

    Any change in family circumstances—including changes to the household size and/or income—must be reported in writing to the property manager within ten (10) days of their occurrence.

  • I have a maintenance issue. Who do I call?

    If the maintenance emergency occurs after business hours, call 801-263-4011.

    If the maintenance emergency occurs during business hours, immediately notify your property manager in writing, as well as call them to bring the issue to their attention. Keep a copy of the maintenance notice to your property manager.

    Please give your property manager a reasonable amount of time to correct the problem. If the issue is not resolved in a reasonable amount of time, notify the main Housing Connect office at 801-284-4400.

  • My property manager hasn’t called me back. Now what?

    Make sure to leave a voicemail message with your name and contact information for your property manager. If you do not leave a voicemail, your call will not be returned.

    You can also send your property manager an email— including your name and contact information—letting them know you are trying to get in contact with them.

    We return phone calls and emails within 24-hours during our hours of operation. If you still do not hear back from your property manager after a reasonable amount of time has passed, contact their supervisor.

  • I am moving. What should I do?

    Public Housing is a project-based housing assistance program, meaning that the assistance from Housing Connect ends if you move to a property that is not part of the program.

    If you’re moving, notify your property manager and obtain a 30-Day Notice to Vacate form. Make sure you are in good standing with Housing Connect before you move or it could affect your ability to receive housing assistance in the future.

    Be sure to notify Housing Connect BEFORE you move.

Still Have Questions?

Contact Us
Stay in touch with Housing Connect!   

Residents Newsletter

* indicates required
/ ( mm / dd )
I am most interested in (check all that apply):
The age of my children is (check all that apply):

Community Newsletter